Three Cheese and Sun-dried Tomato Galette

Three Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Galette
Three Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Galette

So, you must all have given up on the New Year diets by now, have you? Forget the Paleo, 5:2 and the Mediterranean Diet, it’s time for some indulgence in the form of a Three Cheese and Sun-dried Tomato Galette/Tart.  A Galette is a free-form type of tart in which the main ingredients are placed in the centre of the pastry crust which is then folded around the ingredients to form a type of cheese parcel. It is the simplest type of tart, in my opinion, as there is no fiddling around trying to fit the pastry into a pastry case. This recipe is based on Mitchell Rosenthal’s Slow Roasted Tomato-Basil Tart with St. George Chedder in his amazing book “Cooking My Way Back Home”. I have changed the recipe slightly by using sun-dried tomatoes instead of slow roasting tomatoes myself and I used whatever cheese I had in the fridge (cheddar, goats cheese and mascarpone in this case). This is a great way of using up any cheese that you may have left over from a dinner party cheese board and any herb that you may have in the cupboard. Mitchell Rosenthal used basil in his recipe but it also works well with the more robust herbs such as thyme or rosemary (I used rosemary).

For the dough:

12-16 sun-dried tomatoes, depending on your own taste

250g chedder, grated

50g-75g goats cheese

1 stalk rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped

2 tbsp mascarpone

1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp milk, for egg wash

1. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl.

2. Add the butter to the bowl and gently press the butter and flour together until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs (you can also use a processor for this). Add the water and bring the dough together into a ball shape. Using floured hands, flatten the ball of dough into a thick disc shape, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

3. Preheat the oven to 190 C/375 F.

4. In a frying pan, heat the 2 tbsp oil over a low heat and stir in the onions. Sweat the onions for 10-15 minutes until soft and translucent. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and let cool completely.

5. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.

6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 30cm/12 inch circle. Transfer gently to the prepared baking tray.

7. Place half of the cheddar in the centre of the dough, leaving a border of a couple of inches uncovered.

8. In a small bowl, combine the cooled onion, the rosemary and the mascarpone and mix well. Spread this mixture over the cheddar in the centre of the dough.

9. Place the sun-dried tomatoes on top of this mixture and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Crumble the goats cheese on top of this and season with salt and pepper.

10. Gently fold the edge of the tart onto itself to form a pleated edge. Brush the pastry with egg wash.

11. Place in the oven and bake the tart for around 50 minutes or until the pastry is a nice golden brown.

Serve with a green salad.

Galette
Galette
Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Three Cheese and Sun-dried Tomato Galette

1. gwynnem February 21, 2013 / 5:52 pm

I can’t wait to make this. Simple and gorgeous.

2. snati001 February 21, 2013 / 7:34 pm

Must have been a nice and yummy indulgence 🙂

3. gwynnem March 2, 2013 / 5:04 am

Oh. My. God. I made this galette tonight, and it was INCREDIBLE. I’ll be sure to post about it on my blog and link to yours. Truly delicious and balanced with a green salad topped with a tart lemon vinaigrette.

Thank you for sharing the recipe!

• Chocolettecooks March 4, 2013 / 3:02 pm

Thanks Gwynnem! So glad you enjoyed the recipe. 🙂

• gwynnem March 6, 2013 / 2:50 am

Colette, I’m planning to feature this recipe on my blog and would love to include a link to your website and to use one of the photos from this post since your photos of this galette looks way better than mine. Of course, I’d credit you for the recipe and the photo used. Is that work okay for you? I love promoting fellow food bloggers, particularly ones whose recipes I’ve tried. Oh, I can also include your website in my blog roll. 🙂 What do you think?

4. gwynnem March 6, 2013 / 2:51 am

I meant “Does that work okay for you?”

5. AnneMarie D March 6, 2013 / 10:36 am

1. Hi there, I have chosen your blog as 1 of 9 blogs to award the Liebster Award to – It’s an award given to well-deserving up and coming blogs with less than 200 followers to help them gain recognition within the blogging world. Check out my post at

to learn more about what your post about the Liebster Award should contain and to see the other blogs that were nominated. Congratulations again. AnneMarie 

6. gwynnem March 6, 2013 / 2:20 pm

So… I posted your recipe and credited you, but since I wasn’t sure it was okay to use one of the photos from your blog, I just made sure folks would know to check out your blog for the pretty photos. Thanks for sharing such a fabulous recipe! I can’t wait to make it again.

• Chocolettecooks March 7, 2013 / 12:51 pm

Hi Gwynnem,
      Sorry for the late reply, I was away in London yesterday. Thanks for blogging the recipe, it’s a lovely post. Of course you can put my blog on your blogroll – can I put yours on my blogroll too? Thanks again! 🙂