Happy New Year everyone!
So it’s that time of year again everyone is tweeting/blogging/Instagramming about detoxing and master cleanses and getting fit. Don’t worry, I am not going to be sharing detox recipes with you all but I have come across a ‘healthy’ recipe on Buzzfeed recently that I have to share. I am the ultimate pizza lover but lately the doughy base has been putting me off what is one of my favourite weekend treats.
The solution? A cauliflower crust! Now I’m not about to pretend that it tastes exactly like the traditional pizza crust but it is quite delicious and great if you want to take a little break from eating wheat all of the time. I have used BBQ chicken as in the original blogpost but any of your favorite toppings would work well here too.
Recipe is from Kevin Lynch’s blog Closet Cooking.
For the crust:
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets,
½ cup/62g grated mozzarella,
1/4 cup/ 22g parmesan,
1 teaspoon fresh oregano,
Salt and pepper
For the topping:
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded,
½ cup barbecue sauce (I used Mic’s Chill BBQ Sauce),
3/4 cup mozzarella,
½ red onion, thinly sliced,
A scattering of coriander
1. Preheat oven to 220c/450f.
2. For the crust: Chop the cauliflower in a processor until fine. Tip into a dry frying pan on a medium heat and pan fry for 3-4 minutes until softened (you can also do this in a microwave for 8 minutes on high or until cooked).
3. Mix together the cauliflower, egg, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano and salt and pepper.
Tip onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and shape into a pizza base.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. When the base is cooked, mix the chicken with the barbecue sauce and spread on top of the base along with the red onions and mozzarella.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes until bubbling, scatter over the coriander and serve.